ISO 12855:2011 specifies
- the interfaces between electronic fee collection (EFC) systems for vehicle related transport services, e.g. road user charging, parking and access control; it does not cover interfaces for EFC systems for public transport; an EFC system can include any EFC system, e.g. also systems automatically reading licence plate numbers of vehicles passing a toll point;
- an exchange of information between the central equipment of the two roles of service provision and toll charging, e.g.
- charging related data (toll declarations, billing details),
- administrative data, and
- confirmation data;
- transfer mechanisms and supporting functions;
- information objects, data syntax and semantics;
- examples of data interchanges.
ISO 12855:2011 supports any toll service and any technology used for charging.
It is defined as a toolbox standard of transactions and messages which can be used for the assigned purpose. The detailed definitions of mandatory and optional elements in a real implementation are defined elsewhere. It does not define all communication sequences, communication stacks and timings.